Thursday, April 2, 2009

April Fools Fun

Breakfast: Magic Milk Bowl


Don't be fooled by this ordinary looking breakfast.
Squeeze several drops of liquid food coloring over the bottom of a bowl, then pour in dry cereal to conceal the droplets. When the person you are tricking sits down and pours their milk, they will not know what to think.

My lunch trick : snack switcheroo.


My kids had to be so excited to get chips in their lunch, but they were fooled.


I carefully opened the bag of chips and dumped them out into a bag for latter. I put a baggie of grapes inside with a little note. I sealed it back up using double sided tape.

What's for dinner this April Fools' Day? I wasn't out of tricks yet. How about cookie fish sticks and tart taffy peas. For dessert we had colorful cupcakes which were really mini meatloaves frosted with mashed potatoes.


Just ordinary mashed potatoes:

Turned into a colorful frosting:



Here's the recipe:
Meat Loaf
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
3 tablespoons ketchup
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Potato Frosting
3 cups mashed potatoes
Food coloring
Step 1 Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 12 muffin tin cups with foil bake cups. Step 2 In a large bowl, mix together all of the meat loaf ingredients until well combined. Divide the mixture evenly among the lined cups (the liners should be about three quarters full). Step 3 Place the filled muffin tins on cookie sheets and bake the cupcakes for about 15 minutes or until cooked through. Step 4 Divide the mashed potatoes among three small bowls and stir a few drops of food coloring into each batch to create blue, yellow, and pink pastel frosting. Spread a generous dollop on each cupcake. Makes 12 cupcakes.




The ingredients for the Faux Fish Sticks:



Cornflakes
Sugar wafer cookies
Peanut butter
Green taffy candy (I used green apple AirHeads)
Seedless strawberry jam
Step 1 For the fish sticks, place a couple of handfuls of cornflakes in a ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Cover 2 sugar wafer cookies with peanut butter, then toss them in the cornflake crumbs to coat.



Step 2 For the peas, tear off and roll small pieces of the taffy candy into balls.



If the taffy is too stiff to work with, microwave it for about 6 seconds.


Step 3 For the ketchup, use a fork to stir a few teaspoons of the jam until it's smooth.




My kids are going to have a hard time believing me. In fact this morning I was trying to get my son out of bed and I told him get up we are having breakfast ice cream (smoothies. He told me no we are not you are just doing another April Fools. I laughed. I think that they had a very fun day.They were so excited to tell their friends.

1 comment: