Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sneaky Oatmeal

I have discovered two great cookbooks - The Sneaky Chef and Deceptively Delicious. I was a little reluctant to try the recipes because when I look at the recipes they don't always sound appealing. BUT, I thought I need to to give them a try. So far everyone that we have tried have been good. Kids always need extra nutrients in their food. Here is one we tried and 4 out of 4 of my kids liked it.



Sneaky Oatmeal
INGREDIENTS FOR 2 SERVINGS:
1 C. Milk
¼ C. Packed Brown Sugar
¼ C. Canned Pumpkin
1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
¼ tsp. Cinnamon
1 C. Old Fashioned Oats
2 tsp. Natural Peanut Butter
Dried Fruit and Nuts
Pure Maple Syrup, For Servings
INSTRUCTIONS:
In a small saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, pumpkin, vanilla, and cinnamon. Bring to a gentle boil and stir in the oatmeal. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until oatmeal is soft and creamy. Stir in peanut butter. Spoon the oatmeal into bowls, sprinkle with desired dried fruit and nuts and serve with warm maple syrup.
COMMENTS: We also poured additional milk over ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment