Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie

I was looking through my food pictures and I found this picture:

I had a really hard time figuring out what it was of. I went to my dinner calendar to figure out what it was. I realized that it was the start to an amazing pot pie. Sorry - no more pictures. I realized that my camera battery died and my kids were so eagar to eat that I didn't get a picture of the finished product. Take my word, it was yummy. My husband doesn't like any kind of por pie. He was out of town for a week and so the kids and I had a kitchen party and had pot pie. I thought that I was going to have left overs for the next night, but the ate it right up. Here is the recipe:
Chicken Pot Pie
2 Sheets Pastry Puff
1 Med. Potato, Cubed
1 Lg. Carrot, Cubed
5 oz. Fresh Broccoli
1 Tbs. Oil
1 Onion, Finely Chopped
1 Red Pepper, Cubed
3 Tbs. Butter
1 Tbs. Flour
1 ½ C. Milk
1 C. Grated Cheddar Cheese
2 Egg Yolks
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Preheat oven to 415. Place oil in a pan. Add onion and red pepper. Cook until soft. Meanwhile, steam remaining veggies. Spray an 8 X 8 pan with cooking spray. Combine veggies. In a saucepan, heat butter until melted. Add flour and stir over low heat until lightly golden. Add milk gradually, stirring until smooth. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until boils. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat and cool slightly. Add cheese and egg yolks. Stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Combine with veggies and stir. Top with pastry puff. Can mix 1 egg with 1 tsp. poppy seeds and brush over pastry puff. Bake for 30 minutes.
COMMENTS: I use 1 container of Cressant rolls. I lattice them across the top. Omit the egg and the poppy seed. Cook as directed.

1 comment:

  1. Hey--we don't have a zucchini plant in our garden and we LOVE zucchini bread. Send some our way!

    ReplyDelete