Monday, August 17, 2009

Special Night

We have restarted doing something in our family that I thought that I would share. When I was young and babysitting for a family who had like 6 kids, I remember them talking about a special stay up night. I have remembered it for many years. We started this several years ago, but recently we started again. Once a week there is a special night that a child gets to stay up a half hour longer past the other kids. They love this part - everyone else is in bed and they are up alone with mom or dad - In our case usually mom because dad is often at meetings at night.
The catch is they have to go to bed and not come out when it is another siblings night or they will miss their night. It works great. I do whatever they would like to do in the half hour that they have up. Last week I was creamed several times playing the Wii.
When I had my second child, I really struggled with the guilt that my first child was not going to get my time like before and that my second would never get my time like the first - if that makes sense. Well, now I have 4 and it seems as though after I am finished cleaning up the mess after mess that they make and make meals and clean up some more - that we are out of time. Now we have sports that have started again along with school and homework. There is never enough time in the day. This seems to really help me feel like each child gets me and my undivided attention.

If anyone else has tips that they would like to share, please leave it in the comments area.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this idea! One thing we do is make sure each kid gets read to, by themselves, before bed. Its simple, but usually the only time during the day I get to be alone with that child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I would have thought of this when we had our nine littler ones. John did do a daddy date night each Tues. night rotating children, but love this idea also.
    Recipes look great. I did this Cafe Rio pork and just did as burritos and all loved it!!
    Thanks, Melissa, for all your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete